General Information to Apply for a Visa
Visa Application Procedure
- Every visa applicant has to bring the required visa application documents to consular section. After the visa is issued, passports have to be collected at consular section.
- Please note that we don’t accept visa application documents by post and we don’t send passports by post.
- We do not operate an appointment system.
- It takes 6 working days for visa applications to be processed. Different processing times apply to applications with a "Certificate of Eligibility"
Visa Application Deadline
Visa applications may not be submitted earlier than 3 months prior to arrival in Japan and later than 1 week before departure. (Exceptions are possible for "certificate of eligibility" holders.)
The fee for a visa is according to nationality. Please contact consular section.
- If your residence is in one of the following cantons, Geneva, Vaud, Valais, Ticino, please contact the Consulat du Japon à Genève (022 716 99 00)
- Visa applications cannot be accepted by the Honorary Consul General of Japan in Zurich. For visa and other consular matters, please contact the Embassy of Japan in Bern directly.